These are show notes for Episode #3 of the Soccermetrics Podcast, with featured guest Damien Comolli. This interview was actually part of the video interviews for the Integral magazine project (of blessed memory) and is included here as additional content for Podcast subscribers. The interview was recorded on 8 August 2013, one week before the 2013-14 English Premier League season kicked off.
Damien Comolli is a controversial figure in football depending on which set of supporters you talk to. He has worked as a scout at Monaco and then a sporting director at Saint-Étienne, Tottenham, and Liverpool, and for better or worse has been the leading exponent of the Moneyball philosophy in football.
In this interview we discussed the following topics:
- The summer transfer activity in England, France, and elsewhere
- Damien’s thoughts on the statistical analysis culture in North American sports
- Damien’s standards for evaluating talent — and classes of talent
- Thoughts on fantasy football
- Are goalkeepers overvalued?
- Who will win the 2013-14 Premier League?
- What is the future of the football analytics movement?
As always, we welcome your feedback on the episode, whether on content or technical matters. You can make your feedback in the comments section (recommended for content-related discussions) or by emailing [email protected] (recommended for technical issues).