I often receive invitations to attend or present at conferences and symposia around the world. I am flattered to receive such invitations and I enjoy talking about my work or opinions on the current state of soccer analytics. Unfortunately, because of time, work, and financial constraints, I am not able to accept most invitations. I’ve had some unwritten guidelines for handling Soccermetrics-related travel, and it’s time to write those guidelines down.
For the purpose of this discussion, “Conference” or “Conferences” are shorthand for conferences, congresses, symposia, seminars, or meetups.
- At this time, I give priority to attending the following conferences. This does not mean that I will attend them, but it does mean that I’m willing to attend them with my own money:
- MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference
- NESSIS/NCSSORS/CASSIS meetings
- OptaPro Analytics Forum (once every 2-3 years)
- Conferences in metro Atlanta area
- For conferences that I choose to attend and am not an invited speaker, no compensation is expected or required.
- For conferences located in North America (USA, Canada, Mexico) at which I am an invited presenter or speaker,
- I do not require compensation for conferences that are located in the metro Atlanta area.
- For conferences outside the metro Atlanta area but within a 250-mile radius of the city of Atlanta, I request compensation for car travel (gasoline expenses at minimum) and one (1) night stay in a hotel of quality similar to or greater than a Fairfield Inn by Marriott.
- For conferences located more than 250 miles from the city of Atlanta, I request at minimum compensation for round-trip commercial air travel (premium economy or higher if available) and at least two (2) nights’ stay in a hotel of quality similar to or greater than a Courtyard by Marriott located near the conference site.
- I am declining all invitations to conferences located outside North America unless I am invited to speak on a topic on which I am actively involved and no other speaker is available to present it. In the event that I do accept an invitation to speak at such a conference, I require the following compensation as a minimum:
- Round-trip commercial air travel in business class or higher
- Pre-arranged taxi service from the airport to the hotel (and return)
- At least three (3) nights’ stay in a hotel of quality similar to or greater than a Marriott hotel
- I attend a maximum of two conferences outside North America in a calendar year.